Five Fun Things To Do With Your Kids2
Part of having kids is that they are always around. Obviously I mean this in the most uplifting positive way but kids will basically rule your social life in every way that is possible. So, why not make them part of your social life? I love doing fun activities with my kids and the older they get the more I really appreciate being able to do fun things with them.
It turns out kids actually like to spend time with their parents. I like taking my kids on excursions where they can gain social skills and learn how to interact appropriately. Knowing full well that one day they will be off on their own.
- Go to the movies. Before I had kids I went to the movies on a somewhat regular basis and loved the whole experience. Now that I’m a mum I love taking my big kids to a show, even though it’s all kid centric flicks. I enjoy going with them and they love going with me. We started our kids to the movies when they were over three years old. We ask for movie passes for kids birthday gifts and it’s a great way to help cut cost.
- Bake me a cake as fast as you can. It takes A LOT of parenting patience to be in the kitchen with kids but there are so many rewards that it really is worth trying. My husband is the pro when it comes to cooking with kids and they love being able to crack eggs and mix ingredients together. We start to include the kids in the kitchen when they are old enough to stand on a stool, which is about 18 months.
- Get in the pool! Our three kids are water babies and they love going swimming. They love playing tea party in the pool or playing different games. We are lucky that our condo has an indoor pool and we use it pretty frequently. I know that if we didn’t have access to one at home we’d still be at the local indoor pool regularly otherwise! We bring a bag of toys down to the pool and the kids love the captive parenting audience.
- Take it to the coffee shop. Being a city living family means we walk a lot and there is coffee shops all over. I absolutely adore taking my kids for a steamed milk or a hot chocolate and love reaping the benefits of having an actual hot coffee too. We sit and chat and play eye spy while sipping hot drinks from proper mugs.
- Get in some screen time (together). I did not grow up being an avid video game player but I try my hardest when Mario Kart comes on. Some evenings we have ‘Family Racing Night!’ and we all sit together trying our hardest to win the race. My kids love seeing mum fumble and learn a bit of self control when things don’t go as planned.
I’m not a parenting expert but I do like to have fun and my three kids love having fun along with us! I find that those long days go much smoother when a little fun is booked into them.